This guidance document – the EeBGuide – provides information on calculation rules, metrics, provisions and instructions for LCA studies of energy-efficient buildings and building products for European research projects of the E2B Initiative. The core objective is to give pragmatic and relevant guidance to LCA practitioners and construction experts on how to move forward in the field of LCA towards comparative, meaningful study results, both within individual studies and between them.
This document is the outcome of the European research project ‘EeBGuide – Operational guidance for Life Cycle Assessment Studies of the Energy-Efficient Buildings Initiative’, which ran from November 2011 to October 2012. The project was co-funded as a coordination and support action (CSA) by the European Commission under the Seventh Framework Programme, contract no. 285490. The project was coordinated by the Fraunhofer Institute for Building Physics Sustainable Construction Group (Germany). Other members of the consortium were PE International AG (Germany), Centre Scientifique et Technique du Bâtiment (France), Escola Superior de Comerç International (Spain), BRE Global Ltd (UK) and Prof Ch Sjöström Consultancy (Sweden). As members of the review panel, Friderik Knéz and Dr Wolfram Trinius contributed to the development of the document, as well.
LCA studies are generally conducted for one specific scope. Within the construction sector, such a scope typically refers to construction products or to buildings, particularly in the field of research for energy-efficient buildings. In order to simplify access to relevant guidance of for practitioners, the EeBGuide project yielded two separate documents: one for building products, and one for buildings. Some elements are common to the two documents, but others differ, owing to the different scope.
- 1.1 Energy-efficient buildings in Europe.
- 1.2 Basic information about this guidance document
- 1.2.1 Goal of this guidance.
- 1.2.2 Scope of this guidance.
- 1.2.3 Primary audience for EeBGuide.
- 1.2.4 Secondary audience for EeBGuide.
- 1.3 Life cycle analysis in the construction sector
- 1.3.1 Previous European projects on LCA of buildings
- 1.3.2 European standardization works on LCA of buildings
- 1.3.3 LCA studies within research projects of the Energy-Efficient Building European Initiative (E2B EI)
- 1.4 EeBGuide within the European context